Veterans & Military

Veterans & Military

Thank you for serving our country! The San Diego Community College District (SDCCD) has a longstanding commitment to serving active duty military, veterans and their families through a variety of degree and certificate programs and support services.

Veterans Affairs Office

The Veterans Affairs Office at each college provides counseling and guidance to veterans and assists in selection of educational programs that qualify for veterans educational benefits. The colleges certify more than 4,000 veterans and dependents for educational benefits each year. The colleges also have active veteran clubs and sponsor various activities such as student success workshops, lectures, resource fairs and many other activities to promote campus life for veterans and their families.

Contact the Veterans Affairs Office on campus or visit the college websites to learn about the full range of support and programs available for Veterans and Military Members.

Veterans Affairs Office
Office A-109
Veterans & Military website
  Veterans Affairs Office
Office I4-102
Veterans & Military website
  Veterans Affairs Office
Office K-205
Veterans website
Military website


If you are currently in the military or were discharged within the last fifteen years, you may be eligible for priority registration. A military ID card or DD214 will be required for verification. Check with the Admissions Office on campus for eligibility requirements and deadlines to submit required documentation.

Admissions Office
Office A-112
  Admissions Office
Office I4-102
  Admissions Office
Office K-207


Students who are active members of the armed forces of the United States who receive orders compelling a withdrawal from class may petition to have their academic record annotated with a MW symbol to exclude the withdrawal from progress probation and disqualification calculations. Students are required to provide verification of such orders. The symbol may be assigned at any time. In the event a student is unable to request a military withdrawal prior to the assignment of a final grade in class, a military withdrawal will only be assigned with approval of the instructor who assigned the original grade.

See Administrative Procedure, AP 3002.2 Class adds and Drops.


The Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) offers a variety of education benefit programs. Many Veterans and active duty personnel can qualify for more than one education benefits program. To find out if you qualify and what is required to receive DVA Education Benefits, contact the Veterans Affairs Office on campus.

The final responsibility for monitoring the process of qualification for educational benefits resides with the individual. Each veteran must read, understand, and comply with the many rules, regulations, and procedures that influence the benefit process.

Review the following resources for more information:

  • The Veteran's Handbook is designed to provide assistance with navigating through the community college programs and services, as well as education benefit requirements. Pick up a copy at the Veterans Affairs Office on campus or download the Veteran's Handbook to get started.
  • Visit the DVA GI Bill website to review options and requirements of the various programs, and to apply for benefits.

Veteran Dependent Exemption

Children and spouses of U.S. Veterans with service connected disabilities may be eligible for waiver of college fees and/or for a small monthly payment. For more information see the Veterans Affairs Office on campus.


The Active Military Duty Certification is required for non-resident active duty military spouses and dependents who wish to request a non-resident tuition waiver. The form must be completed and certified by the Commanding Officer or Personnel Officer of the serviceman's command. Submit the completed form to the Admissions Office on campus.

Download the Active Military Duty Certification form.


Military, dependents, retirees and civilians are encouraged to enroll in convenient, short-term classes offered on base. Miramar College offers On Base Classes at MCAS Miramar. City College offers On Base Classes at MCRD and Naval Base San Diego. Check course listings in the Class Schedule for details.

Students are required to register in advance of the first class meeting (no "crashing" allowed).

Non-affiliated CIVILIAN students are required to submit to a background check in order to clear base access at MCAS Miramar and Naval Base San Diego. A driver's license, registration and proof of insurance are required. A letter with instructions will be emailed to you when you enroll in the class. Submit the appropriate form at least 3 weeks prior to the start of class to ensure you receive your access pass in time.

Access to MCAS Miramar

Download and complete the MCAS Miramar Background Check and Installation Access Application. Follow the instructions on the form for where to submit the application for processing.

Access to Naval Base San Diego

Download and complete the Consent to Share Confidential Information for the Naval Base San Diego Background Check and Installation Access. Submit the completed and signed form to the Off-Campus Program Office at City College for processing.


San Diego City, Mesa and Miramar Colleges apply credit for educational experience completed during military service toward the associate degree in accordance with the associate/baccalaureate credit recommendations contained in "A Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experience in the Armed Services" published by the American Council on Education (ACE).

Veteran students may be eligible for college credit to clear both the Health Education and Physical Education degree requirements upon receipt of the DD-214 and Joint Services Transcript/SMART/AARTS/CCAF transcripts.

Students must submit documentation of educational experience during military service to the Admissions Office.


Disability Support Programs and Services (DSPS)

Veterans with disabilities are encouraged to pursue services through the college Disability Support Programs and Services (DSPS). Among the many programs offered are academic accommodations for students with verified disabilities include extended test taking, disability management counseling, priority registration and liaison with campus offices. The colleges also provide adaptive equipment in the High Tech Center, with computer access in large print and voice output, as well as training in the use of adaptive software and hardware.

See DSPS for more details.


The Counseling Offices on campus provide academic counseling to assist you in determining your academic goal and to set up your Student Education Plan, There are also resources for learning and studying strategies, and college success workshops, See Counseling for more details.

The Career and Transfer Centers offer resources for determining a career path or for planning to transfer to a four-year institution. See Career Preparations or Transfer Center for more information.

Mental Health Services are also available. Contact the Health Services Office on campus for assistance.

Veterans Affairs Office

The Veterans Affairs Office can help coordinate all the support services available to you as a veteran or service member. The college staff in the Veterans Affairs Office is committed to helping you achieve your educational goals. Contact the Veterans Affairs Office if you have any questions or need any assistance.